The College Counsellor, Jane Brown, helps to provide extra support as required. Her office is located in the Presentation Centre, on the Ground Floor in the Convent building.
The Counsellor can assist staff, students and parents with any aspect of a student's educational, emotional and social development.
Roles and Responsibilities of the College Counsellors
- Psychological and Welfare Counselling.
- To provide group counselling (self-esteem, bullying etc.) as required.
- To provide individual counselling (relationship, psychological and emotional, etc.).
- To refer students for psychological and educational assessments as appropriate.
- To liaise with parents or carers in relation to the emotional and psychological problems of students.
- Refer to appropriate agencies in cases of severe emotional or psychological problems, in consultation with parents.
- To implement appropriate behaviour management techniques to assist parents, carers and teachers with students with severe behavioural problems.
Young people have a right to privacy and a safe environment to talk about their worries. Students are offered confidentiality unless otherwise discussed and as such parents or carers are not routinely contacted. However, if a student is considered at risk to themselves or others, parents or carers will be contacted. Generally most students are comfortable for their parents or carers to be involved.